Friday, June 23, 2006

Freedom is a blank screen with that always consistent flashing cursor waiting patiently for you to breathe direction and passion on to the empty canvas that it serves as some sort of strange diplomat.

Or you could just say that the summer lull between primaries and the general provides ample time for doing nothing. My wife told me to get a hobby, so I'll try this for at least a day or two.

I've always thought there was a certain arrogance associated with blogging. Truly who would care what my views are on any subject? And after I undoubtedly see the hits on this site skyrocket upwards towards the low teens, I am certain to feel the rush of influence raging through my cholestrol caked veins.

The political life doesn't much lend itself to anything but itself... that and fast food at least. The ounces of fries, pounds of bbq and gallons of sugar laced, jacked up old fashioned coca cola is immeasurable in those who some how manage to survive more than a month in, as Mario Puzo so amptly put it in The Godfather, "the business we have chosen."

Surely no one who has made the choice to prostitute himself out for causes that last six months and cost millions hasn't been blessed with "normal" wiring from God above. But, alas we are as Bill Cosby said of four year olds, "brain damaged."

The overtures to mafia are infinite... "everytime I think I'm out they pull me back in." And while no gunshots have been fired yet, the sport which we play is often as brutal and definitely as bloody. There are the competing families which incestously overlap and mingle together when the causes or cash deem it necessary. There are bosses and hitmen and goons. Everyone has a place and the only way one can move up is by knocking some higher up, with the knowledge, permission and approval of other higher ups of course.

Call it a modern day feudal system - not too disimilar from the post office out at dixiana - but it is what it is.

And for those few who have chosen to make a living at it, I can say with some degree of certainty that they would not change it for anything. The predictability of the corporate world - with it's pen striped gray suits, gray faces and gray cars- is tempting to say the least. But at the end of the day, I am still unwilling to trade my two day beard, docksiders and tj maxx purchased polo and the honor of having my few remaining strands of hair on fire that are undoubtedly stricken upright by the caffeine and A.D.D. medications coursing through my capillaries.

And so the at conclusion of my very first blog, as some Dick and Jane book would put it, I conclude nothing other than this:

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You forgot to mention cigarettes and coffee. Staples in every campaign diet

3:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't throw any gutter balls there BJ!

3:14 PM  
Blogger earlcapps said...

BJ - on the momentous occasion of your entry into the blogosphere, where two's company, three's a crowd, and four is schizophrenia, allow me to share some words of wisdom from the contemporary bard, Axl Rose:

Welcome to the jungle
We got fun 'n' games
We got everything you want
Honey we know the names
We are the people that can find
Whatever you may need
If you got the money honey
We got your disease


Yep, stick around here, and given a little time, we'll be sure to bring you to your n,n,n,,n,n,,n,n,n,,n,n,,n,n,,n knees, knees.

Good luck, and I'll be sure to stay tuned ...

8:44 AM  
Blogger Joshua Gross said...

Welcome aboard the Blogosphere shuttle!

Anyone who can throw that many Godfather references into his first post is OK by me...

9:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good writing!

10:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sending a little "Generals" love your way, BJ! I look forward to reading your stuff!

Ashley S.

10:36 AM  
Blogger Frank Davis said...

B.J., always good to have another Clemson man around.

4:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bol!! This is going to be fun! AND NO, we don't want to see your watch!

Go Tigers!

Edward M.

8:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, from Argentina, which is where I am recouperating from the Primary, the Blog looks pretty darn good to me. Keep at it and maybe throw in a reference toward your candidates every once in awhile.
A true Southerner looking at the Southern Cross here in So. Amer.
JD from Dist. 15
(I'd sign my name, but this darn thing has it's template in Spanish & I no habla the language!)

6:24 PM  
Blogger Thoroughbred 401k said...

BJ, A true 6th District diet always has a big helping of Chciken Bog!!

9:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home